Castelo de S. Jorge

Castelo de S. Jorge is a place where you can get to know a little about Lisbon in its Museum, explore the remains of the eleventh century Islamic quarter at the Archaeological Site, take in exceptional views of the city at the Periscope – Ulysses Tower, walk through the gardens and the viewpoint, take a break in the Castle’s Café, join guided tours or other educational activities, or simply allow yourself to be delighted by the music, theatre, dance and soirées based on its patrimony which enliven the days in this remarkable Lisbon Monument.

The fortification, built by the Muslims during the eleventh century, was the last defensive stronghold for the elite who lived in the citadel. After the conquest of Lisbon, on 25 October 1147, by Dom Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, and until the early sixteenth century, Castelo de S. Jorge experienced its golden period as the centre of the court. When Portugal came under the Spanish Crown in 1580, the Castelo de S. Jorge took on a more military character, which it maintained until the start of the twentieth century.

It was during the twentieth century that the castle, the remains of the former royal palace, the Islamic alcazar and the experiences of the past were rediscovered. The restoration work which took place from 1938-40 accentuated its present majesty, rescued from the demolition work in progress, which can be seen here and there in the fragments of past construction work frequently documented in written sources.

At the end of the twentieth century, the archaeological works undertaken in various areas significantly contributed to ascertaining the age of the occupation of the hill top and confirm the priceless historical value which formed the basis for the Castelo de S. Jorge being classified as a National Monument, through Royal Decree of 1910.


Accessibility

Accessible for people with reduced mobility. Custom host available.
Guide dogs are welcome.
1 toilet for people with reduced mobility.


Castle - National Monument
R. de Santa Cruz do Castelo
1100-129 Lisboa

March to October: 9 AM to 9 PM
November to February: 9 AM to 6 PM
Closed on 1 January, 1 May and 25 December.
Last entry: 30 minutes before closing.


Ogival Room
170 m2

Castelejo
1250 m2

Praça d’Armas (Main Square)
900 m2

Jardim Romântico (Romantic Garden)
170 m2

Terraços (Terraces)
250 m2

Restaurant
Casa do Leão
T: (+351) 218 880 154
Lunch: 12H30 AM – 3H30 PM
Dinner: 8H PM – 10H30 PM


737
12, 28
Portas do Sol, Chão do Loureiro